The Norman Bates of Literature

7:54 PM

I think the way you embrace or run away from a situation says a lot about you. The way you react in the moment shows a glimpse of the lining of your inner being. The way you speak about others portrays your character. A simple glance at a stranger may portray more than you mean to.

Human behavior is an extremely interesting subject, if you ask me. I've read several books about behavior, how the brain functions, sociopaths, and what it all means when you put it all together.

If you're interested:

What Every Body is Saying
Spy the Lie
Confessions of a Sociopath
Methods of Persuasion
Helter Skelter

(Confessions of a Sociopath is my faaaaaavorite)




I love and hate first impressions because you can learn a lot about someone in the first few moments of meeting them. (I generally don't like most people upon meeting them...#sorrynotsorry)

Do they make eye contact? Is it too much eye contact?

How do they shake your hand? Is it too hard? Too soft? Do they avoid it all together?

Do they talk about themselves, or put the spotlight on you?

Not that any one of those things would act as a trigger to indicate you were a serial killer. But, there are definitely signs. Behavioral tells, if you will.

It's why I think that news, books (fiction or non-fiction), movies, and TV shows about psychopaths are the fucking best. The mindset of someone who has Anti-Social Personality Disorder is one and the same of someone that ends up being a homicidal maniac. The very same personality disorder may also be the person that defends you in court, the CEO of the company you work for, or the surgeon who replaced your knee.

This personality type is more commonly known as a psychopath. The only difference between the guy who's blissfully slitting people's throats in their sleep, and the guy who's sewing them back up is impulse control. People with Anti-Social Personality Disorder have a very specific brain chemistry, and granted there are varying degrees and ability to cope, but the same group of people could either be in prison or they could be huge contributors to society.

Isn't that insane?

I'm not a psychologist, or an expert, or anything even remotely close. But, I have read a lot about human behavior, and it still blows my mind.

Anyway. I'm reading IT, by Stephen King. And although you might be like, "OMG, WHY? That's so scary!" IT is, and that's exactly why IT is so good. Ha. See what I did there?

Not that IT is about psychopaths per-se, but it's definitely about people. And like I said, people are very interesting. It's also a lot about monsters, the kind that lurk in your closet wearing a white clown suit with orange pom-pom buttons, and the metaphorical monsters of our lives who stalk us in the waking hours of the day.

I'll let you know how it plays out.

But so far, I have loved all 400 pages of this book. I still have over 600 more to go, and I expect every one of them to be just as entertaining!

Maybe I'm no different than the people that I love to read about. Muah ha haaaa.

I'm going to leave this right herrrrre.



I can't wait for the movie! I know I'll inevitably be disappointed because you can't fit 1000 pages of dialogue into a two hour movie. But, I think it's going to be pretty great anyway!

-Stef


P.S. I finished Bates Motel and I feel SAAAAAAD that it's over! I'm probably going to read the book just so I can get to know the literary version of Norman. He's so complex, and sooo fucking insane! Ugh. I love it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images